Re: [RC] Horse color and night riding. - Rosalie Marley

I had a friend I used to ride with in Maryland on her local trails (far
from my "local" trails).  We'd be riding through the woods (after dark)
above the Susquehana River - the river was easily seen but the trails
meandered through streams and up and down little hillocks.  The only thing
that saved me was that my friend rode her grey and wore a white helmet!
Easy to follow in the moonlight that filtered into the woods.  I couldn't
see my own ride (a borrowed bay) under me!  "Floating in Space" describes
it well!

Rosalie

--- "Dean A. Conti" <dean@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I thought all the discussions about horse color were rather academic,
until
last night. I wasn't able to get out on our training ride until after 4PM
and went further than I should have. Visibility wasn't too bad until we
got
to a section of narrow, downhill, switchback single track trail through a
dense stand of Fir trees around 8PM. As hard as I tried I could not see
ANY
definition of ANYTHING on the ground or down the trail. I gave Jimmy his
head and he did the "marble rolling" nose on the ground thing. I wondered
if
he was feeling the trail with his whiskers! Is there such a thing as
horsy
radar? The advantage of a grey horse in this situation is I got to see a
faint glow of his neck and head so at least I knew which way was down. On
Bay or Chestnut it would have been like floating in deep space. "Beam me
up
Scotty".

Dean and Jimmy (who wants to know what you should call a horse that is
brown
and green on the sides/top, with white legs and belly - Appayuka or
Palosplotcho?)

Rosalie Marley
Ride the Tiger!
http://TigerHorseFarms.com