[RC] Easyboot sizing - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon Hahn sharon.hahn@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK, my horse has over 1200 competition miles on her, all
barefoot or Easybooted, so I have some experience here.

1. I always use the same size.  You should measure for
the Easyboot after a hoof trim.  When the hoof is closer
to needing trimming, the boots may be a little harder to
get on, but assuming you trim regularly, the hoof probably
won't change enough to require a new size. If your horse
develops a lot of flare on the side of his hoof, you
might need to rasp it down a tiny bit or use a larger size.
I wouldn't generally try to alter the hoof to fit the boot,
though.
2.  Easyboots do stretch after you use them for a while,
so if the hoof widens after the shoes are pulled, your
horse might still take the same size.
3.  You DON'T want to get a size larger than what the
Easyboot width measurement indicates. The boots will fall off.
I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the boot
LENGTH.  Are your horse's feet very long and narrow, or are
you possibly waiting too long between trims?
4.  I use the same size on all four feet, but for the hind
boots, I had to tighten the rear strap one notch.

Good luck - My horse and I love the Easyboots (we also love
our friends, who scoop up the occasional lost boot and bring
it back to camp for us).

Do you always use the same size easyboot on your horse? Like if they are right
at the end of a size and they have a little hoof growth, do you rasp them and
put on their normal size or do you use the next size up, or do you wait till
they wear down to that size?
This is on a barefoot horse. Transitioning from shoes on front only. But will
need boots for gravel etc. or when they wear down.Also not sure with moving/
with a farrier issue.
I have gotten 2 different foot measurements when ordering boots.The width seems
to be the same , but the length changes. So do you get boots for the longer
length (he is right on the border)-- Or do you keep your horse "worn" to the
same measurements? .
He fit the old #OO perfect- but they changed the hoof boot sizing . It still
seemed to be the same, but when I got the boots they were shorter, and his
measurements changed from when i took the old ones , which were on shod feet,
to the new measurements, since I Pulled his shoes. So I realised they were too
short, and when comparing the boots, they are more round and shorter in the new
#OO. So I am sending them back for the #O.'s
Or do you just get bunches (??) of sizes and see what fits at the time?

2nd question , we have a older TB who may occasionaly get ridden -but pulled
his shoes . He gets ouchey on rocks-- But he measures witdth wise --#0 but
lengthwise ##2 --- long narrow feet. Would #2 easyboots work on him? or is
there another choice? This would be something I'd get , probably used --incase
we wanted to take him out on a short trailride and wanted some protection .

Basically trying to get the hand of using them.