Re: [RC] forward seat - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 3/9/2005 6:14:30 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, JANUSTUDIO@xxxxxx writes:
Also, watched Linda P. explain 'balance' while ridding. Looked way wrong and
against what I've always strived for ~ but it really works!  Had my
Granddaughter try it to help her seat while riding her very bouncy/rough horse at a
trot. It worked very well, her horse likes it too. It works for me too when I'm
able to accomplish it. My back isn't as supple as hers....<g>   Settles the
horse and both of us become more relaxed.

I think this works for new riders and for new horses but for long distance its a recipe for a sore back.   When riding youngsters of course you sit deep, it helps settle them...but you aren't asking young horses to do 50 miles at a crack (usually).  My husband is just learning to ride and his instructor is big into "sitting deep" in the saddle....is that how you'd ride 50 miles?  NO way! There is a big difference between green equitation (whether it be rider or horse) and distance equitation.

Sylvia (I'm way late on this thread so maybe you have all thrashed this out already)