Re: [RC] forward seat - Chrystal

Thanks for the info- I will wait for other people to try the hill thing and decide if it really works or not, :-) I saw the Parelli's last year, I liked Linda's ideas and teaching style, I found that  a lot of what she was teaching I had already learned by riding bareback, for instance that "squishing" ( coming down with your butt tucked under you not straight down) is pretty much what your body MAKES you do when posting bareback, it would really hurt otherwise!!:-) I am going to try the canter thing as soon as the ice GOES AWAY !! And  on that note can you pleeaasse not mention how sunny and warm it is in Arizon?:-( It was -20 here the other night ( that is in C don't know F  but anyway it is COLD! :-(  ) So no more sunny comments or I am coming down to Arizona to live with you and your t.v.,in your trailer I don't even get cable on my farm !!! :-) ;-)

JANUSTUDIO@xxxxxx
Sent by: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

03/09/2005 09:13 PM

ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [RC]   forward seat

Saw an interesting thing while watching the Parelli program on RFDTV. They
were talking about how to negotiate a hill, up and down...
They said to put your weight toward his rear as that was where he is pushing
from, and doesn't interfere with his front end.   I have always thought, 'been
told', to lean forward and out of the saddle, to 'help' him go up. Staying on
the vertical with the trees. The Parelli's stayed seated in the saddle, both
western and english, but did lean forward slightly. NATRC would kill you with
points off for keeping your butt in the saddle...
I have become so accustomed to standing in the stirrups while going up hill,
that I would have to think about sitting.  So, which is right?

Also, watched Linda P. explain 'balance' while ridding. Looked way wrong and
against what I've always strived for ~ but it really works!  Had my
Granddaughter try it to help her seat while riding her very bouncy/rough horse at a
trot. It worked very well, her horse likes it too. It works for me too when I'm
able to accomplish it. My back isn't as supple as hers....<g>   Settles the
horse and both of us become more relaxed.

Instead of sitting up on your seat bones, let your back flex back so that you
are sitting on your tail bone. (almost on your pockets) She calls it
squishing. So, while posting ~ squish when coming down. I was surprised at how much my
horse prefers it. She also has her riders lean way back when going at a
canter, you know how the cowboy is folded down on his pockets... with feet way
forward!  Horse immediately relaxed into a nice canter instead of trying to run.
Exaggerated at first to get the idea, but the results were amazing.

Anyone else seen this or tried it?

Jan