Re: [RC] LQs and Awnings - JANUSTUDIO

Interesting to read what everyone thinks they need/want in a LQ...

I know the first LQ I got ~(2 horse, slant, 10' LQ, mid-tack) the most loved
thing about it was the bathroom.  Ah, to get in a hot shower after a ride was
pure heaven! Having my own private, handy toilet, my own sink and vanity. The
next most loved thing was the furnace (had to have one put in.) Like to be
warm on those cold nights. Haven't really used the AC that much, but on
occasion
it is a nice comfort to cool off when it is really hot. Heat though, doesn't
bother me as much as the cold...

Loved my mid-tack and held out for that feature  for a long time, for my next
(current trailer,3 horse slant, 12' short wall LQ, rear tack), but when I saw
the size of bathroom I could get by putting the tack in the back, I went for
it. Haven't regretted it at all!  I think the reason the rear tack works for
me is because of the ramp (another thing I didn't think I would like), but it
makes getting into the rear tack no problem at all. I simply put the usual
things I used to stick in the mid tack into the first stall. Generator, forks,
blankets, muddy boots, shade tent, etc. The feed goes under the manger  along
with the elec. fence supplies, levelers, etc. and the hay goes in the second
stall when I only have one horse ~ which is usually. If I have two horses, I
just
put the hay into the first stall with all the other stuff.
I have to admit that for the first year, I found myself walking around and
around the trailer trying to think of where I put what...
Another feature I have with this trailer that the other one didn't is that it
is 8' wide. Wow, that extra width really makes a difference in the roominess
inside. It hasn't given me any trouble in hauling at all.

I spend a lot of time in it ~ nearly three months in the winter when I'm in
AZ. (sitting in it right now) so the extra room inside is a big plus.

Since I spend so much time in it, I have thought of a few things I would
add/change.
More space and better place for a larger TV...Hubby thinks it has to be down
on my kitchen cabinet when he is with me, so takes up too much room. When I'm
at a ride, it is no problem, as I don't bother to watch it, so wish I could
just close it up somewhere. I committed TV murder once and attempted murder on
another occasion when I 'forgot' to put the thing on the bed so it would not
crash to the floor while hauling. A terrible feeling when I get parked and open
the door to find the TV has committed suicide by hanging from its wires....
Saw a cool $olution for it... The screens  two (one for bed viewing, one for
couch viewing) folded down from the roof, and angled to any position, wired
for satellite...$$$, but cool...

More counter space...I could use one sink instead of the two I have, so I
could have a pull out shelf to add to the 'sit things on' space. Cooking can be
tight without a place to sit things.
An oven would be a treat, but I have managed without it well enough. On long
stays I miss making cookies....

I have the pull out couch instead of the dinette, which I really like. I've
never  used the eating  table that comes with it, in either trailer.

For the horses I would love to have the rear drop down doors for more air
movement on hot hauls. Only have the bus windows.

As for awnings. I love mine, and don't feel like I'm really 'there' until it
is out. Would love to have another one for the horses. But, bought a portable
shade for them which has the advantage of being put up anywhere.

Any of this of course, can be had for the right amount of dollars, but since
I usually buy a used trailer, I either live with what I get, or make the
changes. Just can't see paying the 'new' price when a used one can get me so
much
more for the dollars. I've been lucky twice in finding trailers that have been
well cared for.

Jan & Slick ~ in sunny (usually) AZ