RE: [RC] Graniteville train wreck. - heidi

Ed, thanks for this post.  I live not too far from the wreck.  Our
training grounds are probably 5 miles away, as the crow flies.  And I
wondered about the long-term affects of chlorine gas on the groundwater,
given that there are fish kills in nearby Horse Creek.  If I understand
it correctly, chlorine gas reacts with water and becomes hydrochloric
acid, which is why it is toxic to all living things.  I wondered if that
would affect our drinking water at Hitchcock Woods (training grounds).

I hope John will forgive one more reply, in the interest of information...

Actually, the most lethal aspect of chlorine is in its gaseous form.  It
doesn't take much of the gas to cause really serious lung damage and
death.  Once it gets into water, the toxicity is relative to its
concentration.  When it forms hydrochloric acid, it is actually fairly
innocuous, if it is dilute enough--remember, that is the same stuff that
your own stomach produces to help digest your food.  The gas does like to
break down into its ionic form--which is what it does to form hydrochloric
acid.  It is more toxic in combination with other elements, forming
various compounds such as the one that makes up bleach, etc.  Even then,
in extremely dilute solutions, it will kill bacteria without harming other
critters.  Chlorine in very tiny amounts is what is put into drinking
water supplies to combat bacteria, and in somewhat larger amounts is put
into swimming pools for the same reason.

Heidi