Re: [RC] mud and sand and stuff - Lynne Glazer

That's the only good thing I can say about our super-saturated soil (don't want to say mud because most of it is decomposed granite and when it stops raining, it dries/drains quickly) is that my Ay-rabs have learned to rip around on it at full speed, up and down the rolling hills without hurting themselves. They don't hesitate to roll in it either. We'll see how that translates to under saddle once it's drier, they'll probably still pause at a trickle.

We have the Santa Ana riverbed sand to train in, don't believe reports of no sand in PS, whoever said that hasn't been to any of the Ridgecrest rides apparently. Only idiots would cross the S.A. river now, the whole course has shifted dozens of feet, and the bottom is completely soft.

A rescue team (film at 11!) went to pull a stuck horse out of the Sunland wash, but as the team arrived, the horse struggled loose itself. Looked like a grey Arab.

Dealing with soaked poop and wasted wet hay is quite the fitness program, not just raking/scooping but pushing the wheelbarrow through the wetstuff too. I sleep really well after those workouts. Can't wait for it to dry out as in an ordinary year, too much rain up here in the hills.

I've seen Angie's mud, it's formidable! Our trails become rideable very quickly post-storm, something to give thanks for.

Lynne
in SoakedSoCal