RE: [RC] Some Thoughts on Pacing (Part 1) - Jim Holland

-----Original Message-----
From: rides2far@xxxxxxxx [mailto:rides2far@xxxxxxxx]
Subject: Re: [RC] Some Thoughts on Pacing (Part 1)

I wanted to do a wide variety of terrain?flat,
mountainous, sandy,
etc. My goal was a 6 ½ mph average.

Jim, I really disagree with dividing your time up evenly and wanting to
keep an even pace. Might work for some but not at all for me. At least on
a ride where the trail isn't a smooth open dirt road you are going to go
much slower after dark. Also, if it gets warm things are going to slow
down in the afternoon. To me, that's not so bad. Different speeds use
different muscle groups. That piddling along in the hot afternoon seems
to rest my horse up a bit for the big push to cover ground before dark.
Once dark hits it ain't gettin' no darker so now it's time to relax and
enjoy the fact that you've only got 20 miles to go...not 50!

Angie, I look for an "average"...obviously, you can't hold the same constant
pace on technical rides.  I was just shooting for 8 hour fifties as a
"guideline" for over all pacing. I also spend quite a bit of time on the
ground at rides like OD and Leatherwood.

Goethe was unusual this year...the daylight hours were pleasant...should
have made my time there, not during the cold at night. NORMALLY in the SE,
the reverse is true...HOT and HUMID during the day....night is better...but
dang, not at THIS ride. My poor pacing and the sand done us in.

You have a lot more 100 experience than I do, so I value your opinion and
appreciate the comments. My mentor advised me to listen to all the advice,
look at what everybody else does, toss out some of it, modify the rest to
fit my needs, and do what works for me! <grin> Hopefully, I will figure it
out. 14 starts, 14 completions, 2 Top Tens, and finishing a 75 ain't bad for
Magic's first full year of competition.  I must be doing something right! :)

As for sand, Magic will have to learn to deal with it.  If that means I do
more sandy rides and go train in Florida, I'll do that.

I would love to try the 100 at Biltmore...but its FEI sanctioned...'nuff
said.

I'm still beating myself up over that rump rug. <sigh>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic.