[RC] Interval Training Question - Aaron Turnage

I posted a couple of days ago about how to slowly build speed to increase my overall ride time.  I'm still looking to be very conservative (7 - 8 hrs) but want to start nibbiling away at those hours in the saddle.  I received several suggestions to start some Interval Training (IT) with my horse.  He's 7 and starting his third year of distance riding.

I've spent the last few days searching the archives and what I could find online about IT.  There were some good discussions back in Nov 1996 and I believe Apr 1997.  I have a couple of questions though:

1.  Can you do IT "wrong" to the point of receiving little to no benefit?  I'm more on the conservative side so am more likely to under-work my horse than overwork.

2.  Any standard guidelines for frequency of IT work (seems weekly or bi-weekly is common)?

3.  Is there a minimum time you want to have the HR peaked?  From what I understand, IT is higher HR training for intervals, with an occassional push to a max HR for that individual.  Can someone expand on this a little better?

4.  Any recommended reading on IT?  Seems Tom Ivers was a BIG poster back "when" about IT training....  I don't know much about him but have heard some conflicting opinions.

Thanks in advance!

~ Crysta & Sinatra (we're going to start doing WHAT?)

P.S.  Back in Nov 96 I ran across posts from Karen Chaton asking questions about if multi-days were good for horses or not.  =)  Also a post she received her first 250 mileage patch!  That's so cool!  I just got mine at the end of this season.  =)  How far you all have come huh?