RE: [RC] [RC] Bits - Laurie Durgin

Don't worry, as John lyons asked everyone at his clinic ,"Who here hasn't ever made a mistake with their horse, raise your hand?' No one did. He said he made lots too, but horses are forgiving. Just keep teaching them, they'll get it, if you make a mistake ,just start again. They hava an amazing ability to learn and relearn. Laurie

From: Ashlee Wakeman <lang_girl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Bits
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 09:58:38 -0800 (PST)

I started my horse with an eggbutt jointed snaffle.
he did really well until i started to try to make him
give more to me for one-rein stops.  then, he started
opening his mouth really wide, yawing, and the bit
actually slipped through his mouth.  clearly, the bit
was the problem.  i assume that it was just too loose
and that i need to tighten his bridle, because i think
the bit is the right size.  this won't damage my
training so far, right? that's not enough to lose his
respect, i hope.