[RC] Egypt - Dahshur Ride Feb 27 - John Teeter

[I've received a few reports from the last 48 hours in Egypt - will forward them along as the day progresses]

The Egyptian Endurance Riding Association is sponsoring a ride to
Dahshur on February 27 at 9 am.

We are fortunate enough to have some of the highest mileage American
endurance riders and ride managers coming to Cairo on the 24th to help
us to manage this ride and to teach us their techniques for ride management
and for training riders and horses for endurance of all types from limited
distance like this ride to multi-day rides.  Steph, Jackie, Merry and Tracy
will be in Cairo for a week or so after the ride, so EERA will be arranging
another get together to exchange ideas and experience.

Not only are these extremely experienced individuals, but they are terrific
women so this is not a chance to be missed for any rider interested in trail
or distance riding of any kind.  Please join us as volunteers or riders for
the first (hopefully) annual Dahshur Dawdle.

Dahshur Dawdle
Feb 27, 2004

Starting point:  Dr.  Ali Abdel Rahim's Stud, Abu Sir
Time:           9 am
Riding Time:    maximum 6 hours
Prizes:         None worth mentioning
Fee:            LE 50 per rider
Registraton:    Contact Maryanne Gabbani 012-211-8386, Pal Thoreson
010-141-6808 or
                    Morad Sedkey 010-512-7452 before February 25 at 10 pm.

Vet check will be held at 8 am at the place of departure.

Rules:

Horses must be at least 4 years of age

Riders under the age of 16 MUST wear helmets and have parental permission
or an adult accompaniment.

The welfare of the horse is of first priority.  Any rider behaving in any
way to put his horse at risk through riding too
fast or overstressing the horse will be asked to leave immediately by the
ride staff and/or vets. Their word is final and no
argument will be heard.

Participants are responsible for bringing food for themselves and their horses. Water will be provided by EERA. Jeeps MAY NOT accompany riders on the trail, but will meet them at the lake at Dahshur with food for a break. Any rider accompanied by a car will be asked to leave. Transportation of food supplies for those without cars can be arranged.

Participants bringing grooms to the lake are responsible for their grooms
transportation and food.

We have 4 extremely experienced American endurance riders/ride managers
coming to help manage this ride to give us a t
aste of a different version of endurance. This is not a race, but will be a
memorable ride for the whole family.  Join us.

Volunteers will be adored and definitely given a souvenir.

==== addendum

Due to a weather forecast of heat and wind we've decided to start earlier to
finish earlier.  Please come for the vet check at 7 am for leaving at 8 am.
Buffet lunch will be served from 12:30 to 2:30 pm.

There will be an additional question and answer opportunity to meet Tracy,
Merri,
Jackie and Steph at Dr. Ali Abdel Rahim's at 2:30 pm on Monday.

Maryanne

============================================================ They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail. ~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM