Re: [RC] Conditioning for LD vs. 50 miler - moving up within season - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Coming from the Midwest where 25-30 CTR is the norm for starting out a
horse, I don't believe that there is any real reason why one has to go 50
early in a horses carrier.  I have started, and witnessed many, horses that
started with a year or two of CTR, and/or slow LD before moving up.  Aside
from some surprise the first couple of longer rides, they all did fine.  If
I were you I would plan on 4.5 hour ride times if you are doing LD.
Condition until you can do 15-20 miles at a 6 to 7 mph pace and then enter
some 25's.  You can probably enter a 25 every 2-3 weeks, if you go at a
reasonable pace.  Then late in the season, or next year do a 50 at a similar
pace.

My personal opinion is that those who advocate starting with 50's assume
that most beginners and beginning horses are not disciplined enough to do
slow 25's.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards