Re: [RC] [RC] Thuro-Bilt Trailers - heidi sowards

Ok, I'll be more mechanically specific. It does not have
the upgraded suspension. It has alot of room both in front
of the horse and to the sides. The rear slant has a ton of
room, your horse can almost stand slanted OR straight back
if he's a smaller horse. Welds seem to be done well, has a
fiberglass roof over the tack room only. An endurance
rider/welder/farrier/trainer checked it out and thought it
was a well made and safe trailer. The wheel wells have trim
to keep from getting cut (The TW did not), the steps on the
side have no area to get a hoof caught behind. The Morgan
built I looked at you could have. I personally like a
slant, more room, horses seem to feel more secure (mine do
anyway!) and like Terry I think the mangers cause more
trouble than they are worth. They rust out something
terrible too.

heidi

--- terry banister <terrybanister@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Slant-load or straight-load is not at issue, but one of
the most emphasized
factors in good trailer design mentioned in  "THE
COMPLETE GUIDE TO BUYING,
MAINTAINING AND SERVICING A HORSE TRAILER," by NEVA SHEVE
(guru of
horse-trailer information) was the advent of
rubber-torsion suspension.
Better-quality trailers come standard with this, others
have it as an
upgrade.

Another factor in stress-free trailering is the horse
having the ability to
lower its head for clearing nasal passages and stretching
its neck and
'surf' with its feet for balance. The inablilty to do
this can lead to
internalized stress that manifests itself in shipping
fever and other
problems such as scrambling on longer travels. For this
reason, manger-style
trailers with the hay directly under the head and the
wind blowing it into
horse's face is what causes them to be frustrated and
stressed after a time
on the road. They need to be able to lower their head.
And the solid wall in
front of the horse's feet causes horses to scramble for
footing and
sometimes climb into the manger in a panic.

Whatever manufacturer you choose, the criteria that is
most important is the
horse's comfort and  safety, not the person's
convenience.
Terry
"May the Horse be with you"