Re: [RC] Equine Dentist in Sacramento Area - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good equine dentist with
all
of the power tools in the Sacramento area?

Whoever you use, please make sure they have a DVM after their name, and are
not just hanging out a shingle because they bought a power float.  In the
last few  weeks, I've seen several horses with horrible spikes at the very
back that had "just been done" by an assortment of non-DVM "dentists".  It
was pretty horrifying what the horses were putting up with while their
owners thought they were getting responsible care.  Another horse had teeth
that had been ground down smooth as glass, leaving no ability to grind his
food.  I 've seen fractured teeth from improper technique.  All of them that
we've seen were sedated by people that had managed to purchase a bottle of
xylazine or detomidine and could hit a vein, but didn't know the adverse
reactions to look for, couldn't treat it if they did see it and didn't have
the training to know what to do next.  The one 'dentist' we talked to
thought she was fine because 'she could always just call a vet if there was
an emergency'...like we should have to pull her bacon from the fire after
she practices medicine without a license?

Okay, enough ranting.  I don't care about the "competition", the practice is
overworked as it is (and no, Tracy, we're not in your area).  I've hardly
been in practice for any time at all and I'm horrified at the godawful
unlicensed work I've seen being done, let alone the scam being perpetrated
on owners that don't know the difference between a good float and a bad one.
Please, make sure whoever you choose is a veterinarian first and foremost,
not just someone with a power float, an illegal vial of drugs and a business
card.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle