From: RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   Mentoring - Opportunities are Everywhere

<SNIPPED>For example, if
we're at a water tank with a group, and their horse is rubbing on
others, and
mine makes a move that could be construed as starting to do the same,
I'll turn
his head and say, "Hey Chivas, you know it's not good behavior to rub on

other horses at water stops!"  Or, sniffing noses - I'll say, "uh-uh -
no
socializing - you know better than that!"  Usually this is enough to
make them realize
what their horse is doing and they will immediately correct the
behavior.
And several people, when we go on down the trail, have commented about
how they
never thought about how their horse might be bothering others...and this

usually leads into a chat about general trail etiquette.  I actually
like riding
with new riders - I don't race, I just ride to complete and have a good
time,
and it's really fun to see someone get their first completion.  :)
Brings back
memories of my first one.

Dawn in East Texas

This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM