From: "Howard Bramhall" <howard9732@xxxxxxx>
To: <AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; <Kh2o@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [AERC-Members] bramhalls mandatory mentor program

You know I'm going to try and answer Kevin because it is one of the
reasons
why I won't be the mentor for this program.  He's right, I'm not worthy of
the position.  As far as my rider record goes, if you're counting
completions verses pulls, it's abominable.  There's a reason for that.

For one thing, the horses I purchase are ones that were unwanted by their
former owners.  Let's just say, I'm not buying anything the Sultans of
Swing
would want to buy.  Even though they might have my phone number they won't
be calling anytime soon to purchase any horse I'm riding.  I don't want to
say my horses arer defective or say anything that sounds like an excuse.
Since Kevin is so interested, I'll try and explain what is going on.

Ameircan Spirit, my number one horse, has a bow'd tendon.  He's had almost
year off since the bow, I took him to Jennings Boogie after that time, and
at the first loop he was a Grade one lame. He was off on the leg with the
bow.  I knew the vet pretty well, had him look at the leg the day before
the
ride, explained everything I knew about when it happened (not at a ride
but
during my vacation in the mountains).  Even though a grade one will allow
you to continue at most rides, I pulled the horse and the vet agreed it
was
what would be in the best interests of the horse.  That paticular pull
should say rider option, but, since it was lame I don't care if it counts
as
a rider option pull or one by the vet.  It doesn't really matter if one
judges another by completions anyway.

My new horse, Awesome, is an Arabian former racehorse.  He really is
awesome.  His problem is a bad back.  First horse that I've ever owned
with
a back problem, and, I'm learning quite a bit about how to try and cope
with
such a thing.  It first cropped up in the mountains (one thing I've
learned
is taking a Florida horse up to the mountains is not an easy thing to do).
I went to Big South Fork with him and we got pulled at the first vet
check.
In fact, I got pulled two days in a row, on two different horses at Big
South Fork.  I called it "Ride & Trailer," because that's what I did both
days.  The vet checks, both days, were away ones.

At my last ride at Gator I pulled Awesome after 40 miles.  He was showing
signs of his back bothering him.  We had vetted in and passed the vet
check
but I knew it was bothering him.  I could have probably gotten that
completion with 10 miles to go, but, it just wasn't worth it to me.

If you want to see a better record of horses I'm involved with feel free
check out my wife's record or my daughters. And, if you decide to go after
them publicly because it doesn't meet your standards of what an endurance
rider is, I promise to hunt you down like the dog that you are.

Now, I'd like to transition to why I'm sticking out my neck like this,
taking flack from folks who like to judge a person by their AERC rider
record, and being personally attacked time and time again because, "heck,
if
you can't attack the idea, attack the person."  You really don't even have
to be an endurance rider to recognize that there might be a problem
concerning equine deaths in our sport.

My belief, for some of the reasons for the endurance deaths in 2003 (and
2002), is some of those riders just didn't know.  They didn't realize they
could kill their horse doing this sport.  Why?  Because we didn't get the
word out to them.  Or, if we did, we pussy-footed around the topic and
they
didn't get it like they should have.

These riders are right off the trail, heard about the sport, are not a
member of AERC, don't get Endurance News and are not on Ridecamp. The
rider
either skipped the new rider's talk or the talk was not offered at that
particular ride. They are out there. And, they just might show up at your
next ride.  They don't have a mentor or, if they do, their mentor doesn't
know either.

I feel it's our responsibility to make sure each and everyone of them do
know.  To provide them with the information that will help avoid their
horse
becoming a statistic.  We need to make this happen.  It is our duty to do
this. Continue to leave it solely up to the new rider and this will
continue
to happen.  NOt every new rider who shows up to their first ride got there
from some expert endurance rider.

The program I envision is not a one on one mentor/mentee relationship.  It
is a class structured, clinic driven course.  Everything taught will be
proven concepts from endurance veterinarians and seasoned riders who can
put
their experience into words.  I plan on borrowing ideas for this from
Susan
Garlinghouse, Stagg Newman, Nancy Loving, Valerie Kanavy, Steve Rojak and
host of others who know what is going on.  With prior permission, of
course.
  None of it will be written by myself.  I have a tendency to drift and
fictionalize.  This is all way too serious for any of that.

If I add anything to the mix, it will be my experience of what happened to
me and Dance Line years ago.  I have yet to tell that one to an audience
but
a lot of what I have said at a couple of rides and plan to say at others,
if
given the chance, is based on that close call with death.

In a perfect world, yes, each horse would be totally prepared for what it
is
about to endure.  The thing is, this is not a perfect world.  Some of them
slip through the cracks and when they do, it's a God awful thing to see.
I've seen it twice this ride season so far.  And, it's very early in the
season.

cya,
Howard