Re: [RC] Putting weight on older horse - Chris Paus

Have you had an equine dentist check his teeth? My
21Yo stallion was very thin when I got him despite all
the food he ate. Turned out his front teeth were so
long that his molars couldn't provide a grinding
surface.

After getting his teeth fixed, I put him on an equine
senior and beet pulp mix and he looks like a different
and beautiful horse now.

chris
--- "spiritwood@xxxxxxxxx" <spiritwood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Hi Ridecampers,
I am looking for some help and have gotten great
advice here in the past.
I am having trouble putting weight on an older (18
years) endurance horse.
He has a ride in 3 weeks and would like some extra
weight to fall back on.
Horse is fit and only gets ridden enough to maintain
this level of fitness.
He currently is eating a high fat, high fiber feed,
getting more than a cup
of canola oil a day, and all the hay he can eat,
free choice.  He is the
most dominant horse in the field so I know he gets
all the hay he wants.
My question is: what is the best way to help this
horse gain some weight?
Beet pulp?  Rice bran? Any suggestions will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks
in advance,
Becky and Bacardi

http://mail2web.com/ .

===========================================================Prudence
and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
The CRI was originally a test for humans developed at UCLA in 1939.  A
professor at UC Davis named Morey Fowler became interested in this and
wondered how it would work on horses and started testing it.  Dr. Fowler
was at one time the head vet at Tevis.  A young vet named Kerry Ridgeway
worked with him on this project helping to collect the data...........and
as they say, the rest is history...
~ mb