[RC] stall bedding - Julie Fuller

Val,

I heartily suggest the pellets! And do yourself a favor, and see if "stove" pellets are cheaper in your area than "bedding" pellets. They are a hell of a lot cheaper here!

I used to use straw... did for years. I only put the horses in at night, for as little time as possible, and stripped stalls every week. No picking inbetween. I'd stack the manure on the garden, plow it under in the spring. Organic Gardening at it's best!

I tried shavings, and decided I hated them. Hard to pick without a lot of waste, they stick in manes and tails, and are a pain to store!

The pellets work better than anything! I had big box stalls, and would put 5 bags of stove pellets in each, wet them down good to let them expand and turn into sawdust.( The result is dry bedding, really) Picking was a breeze, especially with a wonder fork. Cut stall cleaning time down to 15 minutes with 4 stalls. Wet spots were stripped down, sprinkled with lime or "Stall Dry" and the remaining bedding re-spread.

I added a bad of pellets every week or two, depending on the weather..... and the horse's babits. I only had to strip stalls every 6 weeks or so, which made this system cheaper than shavings.

I use stove pellets for all my critters, and swear by them.

Julie

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want. ~ Homer Safferwiffle