[RC] Dakota - Jim Holland

My friend Larry Wheat sent me the note below.  If you know someone who
might be interested in Dakota or has a horse you think might be what
Larry is looking for, drop him a note. Dakota is a pretty good size
horse...Paint. Easy going, good trail horse.

Larry is a big guy, with long legs, so needs an fairly tall horse to
avoid dragging his toes. :)  After riding with me 'n Sunny, he has
changed his opinion regarding those "Crazy Arabians". <grin> He doesn't
ride Endurance, just needs a steady, knowledgeable, sane horse for trail
riding in the mountains.

Larry lives in the Atlanta area, and would be willing to go look at a
horse in adjoining states here in the SE, but not nation wide. He is
willing to pay a good price for the "right" horse.

Contact him privately at: Larry Wheat <l.wheat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic

Dear Friends,

After discussions with vets and input from equine surgeons at Auburn and
Georgia, I believe it is best if I sell Dakota and buyanother horse that
does not have a "roaring" problem.

The bottom line is that Dakota is a great horse but his paralyzed left
arythenoid restricts the air he can get when he is exercising
and needs that additional air.  Surgery success is about 70% for the
tie-back procedure (the normal fix) and if the arythenoid is
removed then there is a good chance of some breathing/choking
complications, perhaps later in his life.  He would be great for a
rider who is less demanding than I (that is, who rides slower, or does
not ride much in the mountains).  I think it is better for him to
avoid the surgery.  All he needs is the right rider and he can provide a
long and wonderful riding experience.

I solicit your advice on how to sell him, and welcome your opinion on
what kind of buyer/rider I should seek.

Secondly, I want to obtain a replacement horse.  I am flexible as to
what kind, except it should be a gelding between 4 to 10 years
old and at least 15.2 hands high.  I am partial to full Arabians (dark,
not the gray color) and that is my first  choice.  However, my
knees would probably prefer a gaited horse like a TWH, Spotted Saddle
Horse, Missouri Fox Trotter, or Rocky Mountain Horse.
No Paso Finos please.

I welcome any suggestions on how to find the right horse.  I will not
buy from a horse trader nor at an auction.  I want to be able to
check out the horse, get a vet check, ride it some, and make sure it is
not drugged during these times.

Thank you.
Larry

The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse`s ears.
~  Arabian Proverb