[RC] apples/oranges/UAE/tevis, etc - rides2far

With all the recent posts, I am not at all convinced that peaking a
horse > >for one magical season only, is necessarely such a bad idea,
providing the > >horse finishes its season healthy in relation to the
sport.

If this is the trick, then we need to seriously reconsider how we choose
our team. I've thought for awhile that we sometimes trashed our horses
trying to make the team, then showed up with lots of semi-lame horses. I
had a friend whose horse was nominated for Kansas.(I hope I'm remembering
these details right but this is the gist) He had two very impressive
qualifying rides I think maybe even a win & BC at one. She was done with
them long before the end of qualifying and decided he'd proven himself so
she'd take it easy and work to peak him for the World in Kansas. She
didn't make the team and was told it was because "they hadn't seen him do
anything *lately*". >sigh<  I think the French choose their *riders*
ahead of time, then choose which horses to use at the last minute. All
things to consider.

As to the people who are wondering how *those horses* would do at
Tevis...whether they could handle the footing, etc.  My guess is that if
the UAE chooses to win Tevis they'll buy last year's top 5 finishers,
hire their former riders to train the horse all year, then pay them to
coach the rider and crew for them, and they'll do very well.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton