Sent: Friday, February 20, 2004 1:01 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Welfare Committee Data

After reading the article - thanks for the heads up that it was there Laura, I note that 3 of the deaths fall into the "stuff happens" catagory.  Lost in the forest, a fall and eating blister beetles could happen anywhere at anytime.  So, we really have 8 deaths to deal with as "Endurance related".

2 were new or newish riders on new horses - the education outreach should help here and it will be interesting to see if this statistic declines in following years

 the 3 100 mile horses that died were all ridden by riders with experience and there is no discernible connecting thread.  It seems that we would be well served to fund research that addresses stress in competing horses to see if we can identify factors that would lead us to pull at risk animals before they deteriorate.  The colic cases are all over the map and it will take several years of collecting this kind of data to see if there is any set of circumstances that identifies higher risk factors.

A thought regarding the heat stroke horse might be to advise that temperature be added to the vet check parameters when the temperature or heat index exceeds some threshold.

The Paso death is questionable as a "ride death" unless there are more circumstances to tie the high pulse at the ride to the subsequent tie up and laminitis.

Laura, congratulations to the committee on putting together the statistics and publishing them.  Fact rather than rumor is the first requirement for forward progress.

Alison Farrin