Re: [RC] trotting vs cantering - Truman Prevatt

I've know more than one horse that when their rider started getting tired of getting pulled - statered to canter more and trot less and the horse stopped getting lame and pulled. Each gait requires the use of different muscle groups and if you use only one gait for 85,000 strides (I think that's the number I heard thrown about in a 100 mile ride one time), repetitive stress starts to become a big factor.

Some horses have wonderful trots and crapy canters - some have wonder easy rolling canters and hard trots. It all depends on the horse how to break up the use of the gaits.

Truman

Jonni Jewell wrote:

A. Perez posted: >>>I think it is best to school ALL gaits: the more tools
in the box, the better. <<<

A tool box with just ONE tool in, used by someone who knows how to get the
most out of that tool, might get the job done better, than a box that is
full, but the user does not know which one to use, for what purpose. It is
the knowledge of the tools, that gets the end results.

Jonni

REAL endurance is reading the LD vs. Endurance thread/debate every 3
months!!!
~ Heidi Sowards