Re: [RC] Icelandics - Sundaez

In a message dated 2/19/2004 4:41:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, latiolp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
rode "with" an icelandic for most of an LD ride last year.  The owner
claimed that their heart rate is naturally higher, so it makes them
less competitive.  I don't know if that is true, but she finished the
ride without any problems.
They don't have a higher resting pulse. One of my geldings has a resting pulse of 28. BUT he does take a lot longer to pulse down to criteria. As I mentioned before it is the inability to get rid of heat...they just are not as efficient as an arab because they were bred to stay WARM! LOL...hence the name: ICElandics the nostrils are very small compared to an Arab's.

Mel...owner of three of the little bugger