[RC] President's Cup - rides2far

Basically, if you gave them 10 years to train for it (and to select
the
best horses in the world

I believe the biggest difference would be not to start with "the best
horseS" , but the best horse. If you wanted to really compare skills &
tactics between two individuals I think you'd have to give them each ONE
horse. Otherwise you're just testing how deep the pockets are or how
calloused their attitudes. I just watched a  high school basketball game
where one team had a much better bench. The team with fewer quality subs
couldn't play nearly as aggressively...same goes in other sports.

This doesn't just apply to foreign riders. There are riders here who are
starting to have strings of horses...*however* sometimes the *reason*
they started having strings of horses was that they were really good with
one horse...so successful that they could make a living by producing
more, which they were also good at. That's fine...but it becomes a
different challenge to train a string and have one always ready to race
rather than have one horse and one horse only to compete.

From the statements made by the USA reps & the Australian's reps about
the non interest in FEI rides, I can't help but think that more and more
people are saying, "That's pretty amazing...but you go your way and we'll
go ours". They want endurance to be an Olympic Sport, yet they may be
raising the bar so high that the very height of it will limit the
countries who will compete...and who is interested in an Olympic
competition with limited participation and total dominence by such a well
financed, non inspiring machine?

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland