Re: [RC] Uneven equine hips - Joan Ruprecht

Feather came with uneven hips, very noticeable to the Susan McCartney, she
also came amazingly foundered.  (that is why I adopted her, she needed me,
typical mom syndrome)  I do not know the history of the hips.

Feather was 14 when I got her, I breed her before I brought her home (Thank
you Roger and Sara Miller)  and now at 24 she has been competing very
successfully and has nearly 3,000 mile.

SOOOOOO don't wimp out.

Joan

PS Feather is a power house, and a good 5 day horse.

Subject: Re: [RC] Uneven equine hips

Definatly get your horse to a chiropractor. Depending on
why her hips are uneven it may or may not be correctable.
My mare was kicked resulting in one hip being a good 2
inches lower than the other. Chiro vet said she would
always have uneven hips...he could help her with
strenghtening work on the muscles but bottom line was her
hip would always be uneven and she would never travel quite
right. Vet said she could be ridden but would never be able
to collect and drive with her hind like she should and
would always be a bit weak back there so I opted not to
spend the time and money to rehabilate her. She is now a
super broodmare.

The CRI was originally a test for humans developed at UCLA in 1939.  A
professor at UC Davis named Morey Fowler became interested in this and
wondered how it would work on horses and started testing it.  Dr. Fowler
was at one time the head vet at Tevis.  A young vet named Kerry Ridgeway
worked with him on this project helping to collect the data...........and
as they say, the rest is history...
~ mb