[RC] clippers and Rhett - Kris Hazelbaker

Well, as the person who raised this guy, I can shed some light on his
aversion to clipping, and shots, and having his mane combed.  Mostly, he
just came that way.  No bad experiences in his past.  He has always had a
well-developed flight reflex.  He was weaned early, because his dam didn't
have enough milk for him, and he was put in with adult horses who pushed him
around.  He's always been really sensitive about handling issues - but stoic
about pain when he's ready to go.  He  seemed a little ouchy in one foot
when I took him out to ride him one day.  I went to clean "that little rock"
out of his hoof and found a fence staple stuck in the bottom of his foot.
He was kind of funny though - once he knew I knew his foot was sore, he
really limped, and followed me around without being led (not typical for
this horse!), and was perfectly docile about letting me take care of his
foot.  Didn't last once the vet got there, but it was nice for a little
while.

Sure is a real kick to see him bloom with Steph!  I always thought he could
be really good, and Steph (and Carol and Rick before her) has taken the time
and made the effort to get him there.  I could never have done that for him.

Kris Hazelbaker
Idaho

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he
needs to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's
also where you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you
before losing his cool. ~ Jim Holland ~