[RC] rubbing crupper - ideas? - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lucy Chaplin Trumbull elsie@xxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In an effort to make sure he wasn't suffering any pressure
on his shoulders/withers on steep downhills (training for
Tevis gives you paranoia), I "crupper trained" Provo on
Friday. This went a lot more smoothly than it had with
Mouse (who took about five months to get used to it and
will still throw a wobbly every now and again about it).

Provo was basically disinterested in it, apart from the
odd hop at the very beginning.

So on Sunday, I rode him in it for his first "real ride" -
20 miles from Auburn Overlook to the near the Tevis river
crossing and back. After the ride, I noticed that he had
two raised rubs either side of his tail where the crupper
straps come up, as well as a rub on the underside of his tail.

The crupper is one of the nice zilco bendy ones and I made
sure it was clean to start with.

As far as I can tell, I don't have the thing on too tight.
He did tuck suddenly at one point when our companion rider
came up a bit too close on his tail, so I'm wondering if
that's when he did the worst of the damage? That said, he's
also quite sensitive-skinned, so maybe he just rubbed from
some of the downhills?

So, do I need to wrap the thing in sheepskin?
Or would that be too bulky?

Do I have to wait until his tail area toughens up?

A friend suggested using BodyGlide on his tail area,
and I will try that.

His saddle hardly shifts at all, but he has shown reluctance
at times to go downhill, perhaps from saddle pressure? (I ride
in a Sportsaddle).

Any ideas or comments gratefully accepted, as if it's going
to give him a sore butt, I'll stop with the experiment.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsie AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he
needs to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's
also where you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you
before losing his cool. ~ Jim Holland ~