RE: [RC] Leather Cleaning/Conditioning - Linda Cowles

> I guess a lot of people don't know that Murphy's Oil Soap contains Vegetable Oil, and vegetable oil rots stitching.

This is a great point, but Murphy's Oil Soap is okay if it's diluted and rinsed well - less is better. The point is to dissolve any waxy coatings and grime so that the surface will absorb conditioners.

I mix 2 ounces of MOS in a bucket of warm water, wash the tack with a ***soft*** sponge, then rinse it thoroughly. If a saddle has grubby patches where dirt has been packed in I'll use a stronger solution, but not on the stitches.

Leather can be easily abraded when wet, so be careful with scrubbing!

Leather Therapy has a great leather wash that I use on saddles that aren't literally grimy; I use it to surface clean before conditioning. Once a saddle is conditioned I seal it with a glycerin or saddle soap, and finish with bees wax when I'm going to use it in the rain or damp weather.

Linda Cowles
Horse 'N Hound
New, Used & Consigned
Tack & Stable Supplies