[RC] puppy selection - Mike & Kathy Kelly

I have always had mixed breed dogs, and always gotten them from the pound.
They have been wonderful dogs, and I've  felt they were thankful to have a
good home after a rough start.  My first pound dog came home and within a
few days was very ill, turned out she had distemper.  It was touch and go
for a week, but she did recover and 10+ yrs later is very healthy and still
running around like a puppy.  The best dog I've had yet, and wonderful with
my young kids.

For xmas we got a new puppy (he was 12 wks then) - he is a border collie mix
(with what, who knows, but he is larger and has very thick long fur, like a
husky?) and was one of a litter of 10 that was rescued off the Navajo
Nation.  Except for being a bit desparate when it comes to feeding time, he
is wonderful.  Smart as a border collie, but much more laid back.  We've
been taking him to puppy classes and he learns everything so quickly, and is
very good with both people and dogs.  He's afraid of the horses
(thankfully), although he's started barking at them some when I give them
their supps, like he could get them to leave their food for him - ha!

In addition to some possible psychological advantages (as Barbara mentions)
I think there are some physical advantages to having mutts, since purebreds
can be genetically predisposed to various physical problems.

Not to knock purebreds, I know there are many wonderful ones out there, but
I love my mutts!
Kathy Kelly
Parks AZ

The point is:  purebreds, whatever
the breed, have been bred to do some job, and if I can't stand their job
description, they wouldn't work for me.  A mutt, on the other hand, is so
mixed up that he usually doesn't have a particular agenda of his own.
Therefore, a mutt might just make the best dog of all.  Does this sound
like
a logical theory?

Barbara