Re: [RC] [RC] was: Jack Russels now: puppy selection LONG - Buffy

I've been a certified dog trainer for over 12 years now and training for
over 20yrs.  I've done everything from narcotics, to basic obedience to
service dogs for the disabled.  AKC is a joke, it is simply a registry.  So
the fact that a dog is AKC registered doesn't make it any better then one
that isn't.  The "nice" thing to AKC is they hold sanctioned shows where you
can earn titles.  I hold in the highest respect some of the breed clubs that
are not AKC sanctioned.  Such as the JRTCA, and the SV(German German
Shepherd registry).  The SV requires not only conformation titles, but
working titles, endurance test and breed survey for their top dogs.  They
have very strict restrictions on how many litters and bitch can have and how
many they can raise.  They do have some faults, but over all in my opinion a
far better registry for keeping the breed true.
I've kind of missed majority of this discussion, but see it was Jack
Russels.  I've done agility with several friends who have JRTCA dogs and
they are awesome.  These people also hunt and show with their registry and
have done very well with there dogs.  AKC tends to take breeds in and change
them, they lose working ability and temperament.  Good temperament is what
makes ANY dog great.  I do believe temperament is 100% genetic and can be
greatly influenced by environment.  I believe there are some wonderful reg
and non-reg. dogs in rescues.  Learning how to evaluate temperament and
drive is probably the best thing in the world one can do before choosing a
dog.  I highly recommend www.volhard.com Wendy has some evaluation guides on
her web site that are very easy to do and self explanatory.  As to finding a
good breeder, find one who has a written contract.  Make sure that contract
is in the best interest of the dog NOT the breeder.  Make sure they do
health testing, this means researching the breed to find out problems they
are known for.  The biggest thing in my contract is make sure they want that
dog back for any reason for the rest of it's life.  That may or may not mean
you get your money back, but they will take the dog back.  Watch out for
breeders who will replace a dog for a health problem, but require you to
return that dog first.  Unless they will allow you to have it altered and
keep it as a pet.  Some breeders contracts require the dog back knowing most
families don't want to give this animal up after they've already became
attached to it.  Thus, they don't have to worry about honoring the contract.
Ask questions about their vaccine program and feeding program.  There have
been a lot of changes lately regarding these and some are up on them some
are not.  If this dog is strictly going to be a pet they should require it
to be altered!  If it's being sold with breeding rights they should still
have restrictions about breeding it.  Such as titles and health certs being
required before it can be bred.  Hope my points made sense, good luck
finding your next best friend!
Buffy
Spellcaster Miniature Horses
Beware... They'll cast a spell on your heart!
www.geocities.com/spellcasterminis/
Poetic Endings Chinese Cresteds
www.geocities.com/chinesecresteds/
Yahoo Messenger ID:  Spellcasterminis