Re: [RC] Jack Russels now: puppy selection - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 2/17/2004 6:26:30 PM Pacific Standard Time, kclanin@xxxxxxx writes:

i agree with you nicole, having taught obedience classes at all levels
since 1969 i've seen a lot of dogs, probably 50/50 mixed/registered dogs,
there have been quite a few mixed breed dogs that i'd take home in a
flash.  there's a lot to be said for "hybrid vigor" also.

Well, since this thread started with Jack Russells.....Its only been within the last few years that they have been a recognized AKC breed.  Basically JRTs ARE pretty much a mixed breed.  My understanding is that if a dog had the right physical traits, it could be registered as a JRT (which explains why a friend's little dog who looks like a brown and white dachshund to me is a registered JRT...he would not be a Parson's Terrier, that's for sure).  So, JRTs haven't had time yet to be so inbred that they're crazy....they are just crazy because they ARE!  ;)

Sylvia (JRT Lover, there's no going back)