[RC] Jack Russels now: puppy selection - Karen Clanin

> 2. Find a good breeder.  Make sure their dogs are AKC
> registered, and that the puppies are also eligible.

I really liked much of this post, but had "issues" with this
point that doesn't seem to have been addressed by others yet.

i agree with you nicole, having taught obedience classes at all levels since 1969 i've seen a lot of dogs, probably 50/50 mixed/registered dogs, there have been quite a few mixed breed dogs that i'd take home in a flash. there's a lot to be said for "hybrid vigor" also.

having papers does give one some hint of what the puppy will look like, what it's temperament 'might' be like, breed temperament characteristics etc, but the papers do not mean it will be a better canine than a mixed breed (it might be healthier if the sire/dam passed all the relavent tests for their particular breed but it doesn't mean it will have better temperament.)

the title of your email, puppy selection, opens a whole new ballgame. there are puppy tests that were developed many years ago for evaluating the temperament of 6 to 7 week old puppies, my husband (and endurance ride photographer) and i used to do this for other breeders, how the tests are evaluated has a great deal to do with the reliability of the tests. we used to video tape the tests so we could score the pups later -- going back to be sure we were scoring the pup's reaction correctly. the aim of the tests is to predict the pup's temperament, willingness to please, boldness, shyness, sensitivities when they become adults and if done right they are very reliable.

these tests can be done on mixed breed litters also.

i still very highly suggest anyone thinking of getting a new pup get a copy of that book HOW TO RAISE A PUPPY YOU CAN LIVE WITH and read it BEFORE going to see the litter. it not only tells you about mental development stages but what the breeder should have done with the pups and what you should do once you get it to continue with the breeder's efforts.

not all breeders care enough to do the work, and it IS work if one does it right.

karen