Re: [RC] Doctrinaire bit nonsense/ eventing - Jasmine Cave

This is from one of my "savvy up" newletters.

Capt Mark Phillips then asked if Pat (parelli) if he'd
be interested in presenting to the US eventing team
while training in Florida next January. Well, it
happened ... and it exceeded all of your expectations!

Here's how it went. No one really knew what we should
do. The USET was very open, Karen and David O'Conner
wanted to make sure the power of ground skills really
came through, and Capt Phillips was open and
curious... it had been 10 years since he had seen us.

We decided to start by turning Pat's apprentice crew
loose on the cross country course with 45 foot lines.
Pat had Magic and Casper there and talked to the crowd
while we demonstrated. We jumped in and out of the
water complex and played over as many of the jumps as
we could get to. To say the audience was riveted would
be an understatement! Within 30 minutes, more cars and
trucks started streaming down the driveway because the
audience got on cell phones, called their froends and
trainers and said "Get over here.. you've got to see
this!!" We started with about 20 people and ended with
around a hundred!

We'd never seen these jumps before, but the horses all
went out and played confidently and with exuberance.
It ended with some of us riding over the jumps
bareback with halters.

When Mark Phillips addressed the crowd, he said "Do
you have any idea what you are seeing here? These
people are riding bareback, they have no bits in their
horse's mouths, they're jumping, backing up, going
sideways, have no control issues... and some of us
have half a scrap yard in our horses mouths and can
barely get then to back up!"

Everyone was excited. The next day, we did a similar
thing but this time it was even more confident on the
cross country jumps and all of us were riding. Honza
stole the show by jumping everything totally bareback
and bridless! The level of confidence, unity, accuracy
and control was stunning. When Pat asked Capt
Phillips, "can you imagine all your riders knowing
this stuff," Mark quipped "I'd be out of a job!" Karon
O'Conner said that if the savvy team were the
competition, "They'd kick our butts!"

Over the next 2 sessions, Pat took 3 horsesand with
the help of a couple of apprentices, demonstrated how
to start the 7 games on the ground and then on the
horses backs. One of the horses was a serious problem
as he would freak out at everything. As you can
imagine, all the horses made significant changes that
night and by the next day behaved very differently.
The one that was most serious was now being ridden by
its owner, bareback in a halter, paddling through the
water and around the jumps, having jumped on line
already. The owner was thrilled and said this was the
best day he'd ever had with this horse.

The USET is scheming to have Pat do more camps with
the teams. In the meantime the French equestrian team
is wanting the same. Currently Pat is coaching
pentathalete Tracy Mattes.

So the answer is yes. They need more training and less
gimicks. The only problem is that unless you have the
knowledge on HOW to get your horse away from the
gimmicks you will be stuck with them.

Jasmine

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html