[RC] A Barefoot Story from a Neutral Observer - KimFue

I rode the 65 mile ride at 20 Mule Team this past week end and wanted share this story.  Over the past year or two discussions on "barefoot horses in endurance" have come up on this list and other endurance lists.  I have never gotten involved in these topics but have skimmed over the posts with very mild interest but I do try to keep an open mind.  What really sticks with me is how many posts were negative claiming riding endurance barefoot is impossible or that it is only successful where the footing is perfect.  I remember the eye witness reports on a horse/horses that were extremely sore and lame -- a ride in the Las Vegas area comes to mind.  No doubt seeing something like that first hand leaves a lasting impression.
     This week end I spent most of the 65 mile ride leap frogging with Terry Banister and her horse E Bay.  Terry lives and rides in my area but I really don't know her that well but I do know she has posted on Ridecamp about bare foot riding.   When E bay went by me the first time I noticed that this horse was barefoot.   For the rest of the ride I really paid close attention to this horse and how he was moving.  He moved through some semi rocky sections of the trail at a 10 MPH trot (I was wearing a GPS so I know how fast he was trotting) with ease.  I noticed on one of the rockiest sections of trail that Terry had put rear boots on E Bay nothing on the front and was trotting with easily at a pace between 8 and 9 MPH.  The horse showed no indication that the rocks were bothering him.  I have to admit I was impressed as I would not have guessed a barefoot horse could move at speed through rocks and uneven footing with ease.  The horse looked perfectly sound and even at the last vet check which I believe was around 57 miles.  I never saw the horse at the post ride vet check but I do know that E Bay did get a completion.
     I have always felt the need to pad for the 20 Mule Team ride so this is not a ride with perfect footing.  I am not an advocate for barefoot riding and will probably not change the type of hoof protection I use (steel shoes and pads) for endurance riding.  I am not trying to change anyone's mind on using shoes or going barefoot.  I just mention this because I actually witnessed this.  If there are riders on this list who are interested in successful barefoot riding I think they should consult or seek advice from riders who are actually walking the walk and not just talking the talk.

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648