Re: [RC] Jack Russels...sorry, LONG - Karen Clanin

great post victoria.  i have something to say about the socialization/shot period.  there are places where puppies can be taken that are low dog traffic so they can be socialized away from their home environment.  being on the instructor end i sure get tired of having 4 to 9 month pups come into class that were kept home until they were 4 months old "until the shots were finished".  just use common sense:  don't take it to public parks, if traveling don't let it out in the 'doggy area' of rest stop, go down another exit or two where there is nothing and potty the pup there.  i've known dogs that never, ever left their homes get parvo -- you can bring it home on the soles of your shoes and tires of your car.

the best book i've read about raising a puppy, and we gave it to our puppy buyers before they got their pups, is HOW TO RAISE A PUPPY YOU CAN LIVE WITH, by Rutherford and O'Neal and published by Alpine Publishers in Loveland, CO.     it goes through the mental development stages of the puppies, you'll find they are ready to go to their new homes emotionally and make the strongest bond at 7 weeks, also at 7 weeks they are ready to begin learning and if you don't teach it they will learn on their on, usually bad.  the primary socialization period is from 4 to 12 weeks, grafts have been made by dr's scott and fuller who did all the research into mental development stages, after 12 weeks the ability to properly socialize the pup starts to slide down hill, after 16 weeks it is very difficult for some to make any headway.

Ask Susan G -- she bought 2 of our border collie pups, still has the last one, and she had to read the book before she came to get Solo.

karen