Re: [RC] Newbie... where to start? - rides2far

Order some of the endurance books...Nancy Loving's, Donna Snyder Smith's
& Karen Paulo's are all good. Start riding. I don't care if you do a ride
in 2  years or 3 months...you're in training. You will have a reason to
ride every time you ride. Buy a $5 stethoscope. It'll amuse you to no
end.

If possible, go to a ride and watch. According to which side of AL you're
on you may have to go to S. GA or Mississippi. Check the Southeastern
Endurance Rider's Assoc. website and see the schedule. Look on a map and
pick one to go watch; it'll inspire you. Let the ride manager know you'd
like to volunteer or that you'd like to crew. When you get there, ask
them to introduce you to someone who'll show you around. There's always
someone willing to take you under their wing. When I started, my mentor
was across town. We talked every day on the phone. Nowadays you've got
the net and it's just as good if not better. If possible, pick a ride
you'd like to take you horse to next fall. If Hungry Buzzard is on the
schedule that would be perfect. It's in Auburn, AL and has the best of
the best management. There's also Talladega in the fall down there. (Not
in Talladega, AL, but the Talladega National Forest).  I wish you were
farther North. I'd grab you up. I love new recruits. They always remind
me what drew me to the sport in the first place.

By the way...when I got started we were in the poverty level income
bracket, my daughter was 8 months old and my husband worked 56 hours a
week. I did one to two rides per year for the first 3 or 4 years and
trained more than I do now. I thought I'd never accumulate any miles but
I'm closing in on 4000 despite a slow start. The trick when your kids are
small is to ride when others sleep, that way they don't miss you and you
don't feel guilty. :-) One of my early riding buddies never got her first
horse until she was about 37. She put 1000 miles on him. Get busy!

Let me know when you go to a ride and if I'm there I'll introduce you
around.

Good luck!
Angie

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:27:59 -0600 "Colleen _"