[RC] Newbie... where to start? - Colleen _

Hi there,
I am a total newbie - to owning my own horse and to the sport of endurance riding. I am rather overwhelmed, and not sure where to start? My horse currently lives at a friend's house - she has 2 other horses and has grown up with horses. I'm slowly learning the day-to-day care from her. I took english riding lessons as a kid for several years, but despite the begging and tears, was never able to own my own horse. Now that I finally do (a sweet, calm, 6 yo gelding, but with some spunk), I'm finding that I want to find something fun to do with him. Something to actually "train" for. I never showed as a kid - I don't like the idea of being center-stage in an arena with people all around me watching my every move. I still don't like that idea. But I want to find something slightly competetive, but fun to do - that both my horse and I would enjoy doing. I think endurance racing might be it. I've got another friend who gives some riding lessons who will help get me back on track with my riding, but I don't know anyone who does endurance races. I do work full-time and have a family, so I'm not ever sure I could properly train for something like this. I just really love the idea of having something to aim for - like completing a full race. That just sounds sooo exhilarating!! I've looked all around the endurance.net site, that's what's given me the bug. I did try emailing two of the mentors, but one's email no longer works and the other never emailed back. I just wondered if this might be someting I can actually do? My husband and I are working on selling our house and moving out to the country this spring. I'm in southern Alabama - lots of country out here. So once I have the horse on my own place, I'll be able to spend more time with him. Anyhow, I just wanted to see if anyone here might have any advice?
Thanks so much!
Colleen

Click here for a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963