Re: [RC] worming foal - heidi

  Ok, here's a slight twist on the worming question. Have
got several different answers locally from both breeders
and vets, just wondering what ya'lls take on it is....
  When do you first worm a foal, with what (safeguard?) and
for how often and long until its ready to be on the regular
adult horses worming protocal?
  Also what do you do for *foal heat* scours on baby..temp
is normal, is eating and bright eyed. Do you just keep an
eye on foal with a wait and see attitude or get agressive
with treatment and if this is the case what kind of
treatment?

Re foal heat scours--the #1 causitive factor is Strongyloides, which
migrates into the udder of the mare with the hormonal stimulation prior to
the onset of labor.  I'm unsure whether a fenbendazole purge during
pregnancy will help cut down on the dormant larvae, but the main defense
against this is to deworm the mare with ivermectin within 12 hours after
foaling.  We try to hit the mares with ivermectin at the same time we
treat the navels on the foals.

The #2 factor, IMO, is feeding the mare too much rich food too soon.  We
don't feed grain to our mares anyway, but I had good luck preventing foal
heat scours with my clients that I could get to take the mares OFF of all
grain until through foal heat, and then add it back slowly afterward.
Initially, there is often just too much milk for the little guys.

As for treatment--depends on how bad it is.  Often products such as
kaolin-pectin (or Kaopectate) help (better than PeptoBismol, btw), and
keeping the bottom greased with vaseline or Desitin to prevent scalding.
If they have normal temps and normal appetites, that's about all that
needs to be done.  Sometimes probiotics are helpful.  If it really gets
bad and they become ill, they may need fluids and/or antibiotics, but I
try to spare the antibiotics unless they are really indicated.

Regarding deworming--fenbendazole is a good one (Safeguard), start at 3-4
weeks, and deworm every 3-4 weeks for the first few months.  I don't mess
with ivermectin until either 6 months or winter, whichever comes first.
It is safe enough in foals, but just isn't very efficacious against
roundworms.  So there really isn't much point in giving it until you've
had a fall frost, to kill the bots.

Heidi