[RC] Michel Bloch & Death Valley Encounter - Catfish Daniels

Hi folks,
This post actually comes from my friend Michel Bloch who took a pretty bad tumble at Death Valley Encounter this past December and still is unable to do certain things due to some injuries, including typing. So he asked if I could help him by typing this for him:

Dear Ridecamp:
Many of you have gotten to know me, specially in the past year when my horse Monsieur Joseph came in 2nd at Tevis and 2nd at the NC ride. I'm the "French man with the little horse", ha! Anyway, recently many of you have asked where I've been and what exactly had happened at this past Death Valley Encounter, so I asked Catfish to help me in typing this up.

Well, at Death Valley Encounter, Day#1, we took a pretty bad fall - and perhaps I'm also writing this for anybody that still isn't convinced about wearing a helmet. It was a beautiful day, and Steph Teeter, Catfish, and myself were sharing the lead but trotting easily at about 8mph at about mile 40. From what Catfish whitnessed, my horse Monsieur Joseph caught a soft sand spot and stumbled with his right front leg. As he tumbled, I fell face first into the ground and my horse landed on top of me. I was unconscious at that time, which was good as I didn't have to whitness the next part. Here comes the helmet part: As my horse was trying to catch footing and trying to get up from on top of me, he apparently kicked me in the back of my head with both hind feet. You see, I'm alive today writing this post because of my helmet. OK, my helmet is cracked, but not my head.

My horse, who luckily sustained no injuries, ran off towards where we came from, where he was intercepted by the next group of riders, Heather Reynolds and Jeremey. While I was "out", Steph Teeter ran on towards the next vet stop to get help, while Catfish stayed with me to help in case I regaind consciousness. Steph Teeter, I hope you're reading this because I have not yet had the chance to thank you for having done that. It was my understanding that you risked it all, trying to get to the next vet-check to get help. Thank you!!

When I regained consciousness, Catfish informed me what had happened, and that's the last I saw of Catfish, who then passed out himself, ha! By time Heather, Jeremey & Alan showed up with my horse, I was standing up and Catfish was on the ground, ha!

I decided to continue and finish the ride and really want to thank you Heather Reynolds, who rode with me for a while, monitoring me as we approached the 42 mile vet stop. Thank you again Heather. For a while Catfish thought he'd call it quits at the next vet-stop, but thanks to Alan
Horn who encouraged him, they both rode to the finish in 4th and 5th position.

So, here's an update:
By time I got home, I couldn't move much. After several trips to the hospital and being sent home with only pain medication, I the doctor finally found that my shoulder was broken, a muscle had ripped, a couple of ribs had cracked, and a few other things were not quite in order. However, NO HEAD INJURIES!! Folks, my helmet saved my life.

Recently one of my dreams came true when I received an invitation to the President's Cup in Abu Dhabi, and I was due to leave the United States on February 9th. Due to the inability to ride since Death Valley, I had to decline. Heather Reynolds, I will be glued to the television and internet and cheer you on. I wish you all the best!!!!

Unfortunately due to this diversion, I didn't get my entry in on time for Tevis and I'm on a waiting list. Hopefully they'll remember my boy ("the little horse") from last year and allow us to start.

Catfish, thanks for your help, and thanks for typing this post onto ridecamp. Thanks for my new helmet - it fits well and makes me look not quite like a mushroom. Hope to do Tevis with you this year (if WSTF can add me to the list). You've got a great horse, and he can do it. I really like your horse.

I wish all of you a great 2004 ride season, and if all goes well, I hope to meet you at the 50th Tevis!

Michel Bloch