Re: [RC] Ponying - sally reid

 am thinking about ponying my 5 year old mare alongside my 15 year old gelding.  I want her to get used to all the spooky things you see away from home.  Can anyone give me advice?  Do you hold her lead rope or can you tie it to your saddle?  How long should it be?  I did pony her the other day and held the lead and she was good, but it was a pain in the neck to hold it.

- Mary

In one of my earlier horse-bum jobs I was employed as a groom for the Rolex Polo team in Palm Beach, Fl.  I got in a lot of ponying time. Here is how you start:
1. get a helper to be safe, mount your horse first, then get your helper to hand your pony to your strong side, usually conviently your right and his left.
2. snub the pony near your knee, using your hands , not tied. Ask to move off slowly, if she does not move, ask the helper tap the pony on the croup with a whip.
3. practice in a controled situation first. Never let the pony lag behind your body. Practice turns, stops and lateral moves.

Soon you can do more than one pony at a time (I usually rode one and led 4 at a hand-gallop) It is all conditioning and respect on the pony's part to the rope and your commands.

I was able to take one of my own horses anywhere, including over jumps while leading her. I like to start all my babies to the pony routine, that way, they are not surprized if they need to be ponied later in life on the trail. It is a great way to get good miles on a baby.
Sally