Re: [RC] more about bits/bridles - sharp penny

--- Ashley Wakeman  wrote:
First of all, concerning bridles, I was wondering if
anyone could tell me what kind of bridle is best for
endurance?

 Any thing that works for you! I do like the newer
materials like beta biothane as its soft like leather but
takes lots of soakings like biothane and dosn't need the
conditioning like regular leather. The halter/ bridle combo
is very handy esp at vet checks and if you get one with bit
hangers then you can remove your bit at VC's without having
to take off the whole bridle. Until you know what you like
and works for you, I would buy used and not worry about the
color..that way if you don't like that particular style you
aren't out much money and if you do like it then you can
splurge when your flush and get one made in your color/s.
;)You will find used endurance tack holds it resale value
very well and is easy to sell. <VBG> Personally I wouldn't
go out buying much until after you have done a few rides,
see what other people have and ask questions. Then you'll
have a better idea what you *really* need and what is just
a luxury item.

Also, my horse is a bit headstrong, not always wanting
to respond to the reins when I slow him down or ask
him to halt.  What is best for this?

 Training or in your case retraining is the best. A horse
that is head strong has not been trained throughly in
lateral flexion. When my horse gets excited and wants to be
*headstrong* all I have to do is pick up on one rein and he
immediatly gives to that side. He has also been taught that
I won't give him his face back until his feet stop if I'm
not asking him to move with my leg. But all this was taught
in a very controled environment until I got the desired
response 99.9% of the time before heading out to somewhere
exciting.  When I choose to ride in a hack he does give to
me laterally but that is becaused he has been trained to do
so. I just can't stress enough it's not what you choose to
put in his mouth or on his nose, its what you choose to put
in his mind. Get a good tape series, my personal favorite
is Clinton Anderson's Riding with Confidence series 1; part
1-4. Its a very easy step by step program and if you follow
it religously you will be amazed at the difference in your
horse using the same full cheek snaffle you are having
problems with now. I know you can get this series on ebay
for less than what Clinton sells on his web site. I'm sure
any of the *known trainers* like Parelli, Lyons, Rashid and
so forth have similar programs, I just seem to relate
better to Anderson's program..its very easy and logical. If
you are willing to put in the time you will get results!

Regards,
Penny

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html