Re: [RC] bits and hackamores - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...It depends on the amount of force applied..."

Training of rider and horse is the key.   My first endurance horse was
trained extremely well by a western trainer.  I used a very severe thin,
long shank curb bit on him when I rode.  I don't think I ever used more than
a few oz. on the reins.  He only needed signals, and that is what I
provided.  He eventually learned to work 80% off of legs and balance for
turns and voice to stop and change gaits.  A true joy to ride.  Ranger is
getting there also and I have just began work on Stevie

I had a thick mouth, short shanked curb with a padded curb chain I used on
him if I loaned him out, because I couldn't trust others to have gentle
hands.

It is my feeling that there are two consistent mistakes that many riders
make when confronted with a horse that ignores commands:

1. We are by nature tool makers so we look for a "Magic" bit (or other
bridle), especially if it has the possibility of producing more pain.  I
think the opposite is required, use a rig designed to produce less pain.
2. We exert a steady pull on the reins to slow the horse.  The result is the
horse learns to deal with the discomfort and we go back to solution #1.
Natural horsemanship teaches better ways to stop a horse, but  I have had
good luck by giving short corrections of escalating severity as many times
as needed to produce the effect.
Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road