RE: [RC] mares - Teri

I knew my mare cared for me but I thought it was just because I was the one who fed her.  I recently found out that it is deeper than that.  I was at Jennings Boogie riding down the highlines with Debbie Parsons.  We were having a great time.  The trails and weather was beautiful.  We were moving a bit slow so we were making up all these excuses and laughing alot.  Because we were in such a relaxed mood I was not paying attention.  We were doing a nice easy lope, my horse stumbled and I was holding on to the side.  Debbie said she thought I was showing her my new tricking riding techniques.  After what seemed like 5 minutes, but more like 5 seconds, I decided to let go and just get back on.  When I hit, I hit a boulder on my right back side.  Thought there was more padding there than that.  My horse Scarlet was still going down the trial in a lope.  I stood up and she was pretty far down the road, horses just moments before my fall passed us, so I expected her to try and catch up.  I yelled out her name and she stopped dead.  She then turned around and yelled at me.  Then she came loping back.  I think when she yelled out she was saying "would you hurry up and quite messing around, I want to get back and get something to eat."  That to me was a miracle.  She was true to her breed and I love her even more now.  Yes, Debbie and I made it back in time for completion and Debbie stayed with me the whole time.  That was true friendship.  My fall also gave us additional excuses for taking so long.  I had the best time....lol

Teri
-----Original Message-----
From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Nancy Reed
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 9:06 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] mares

I just have to share my mare story.  Lyric is a 5 year old Bask/Profire purebred Arab mare.  She loves my daughter and tolerates me.  This week daughter Danielle has taught herself to mount Lyric bareback without a wall or block.  I call it the Indian style mount.  Kevin Costner does it in Dances with Wolfs.  Lyric has stood rock still for hours as Danielle practices the mount.  Lyric even tolerates missed mounts.  This means Danielle kicks her in the flank as she did not get her leg up high enough.   But Lyric stands still and tolerates it, must be love!

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California

PS still singing the ?no saddle fits blues.?