From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 12:43 PM
To: DreamWeaver; Ride Camp
Subject: Re: [RC] Hypothesis: Mares

But if you look farther the disproportionate number of
non-Arabians were also the horses with the least experience.
Got to be careful not to fall into the "a frog with no hind
legs can't hear" syndrome.

The total number of miles of these three horses was 125 miles.

I think you'd get a lot better numbers by looking at metabolic pulls. Take
all the metabolic pulls, put in horse age, experience, sex of horse, and
breed. Then compare that distribution against the overall population. Apply
a t-test to see if the distribution is significantly different, and then you
have some real data. This of course assumes that metabolic pulls and death
are related phenomena and stem from the same causes. Some metabolic pulls
(e.g., tying up) are probably not well correlated, so that will cause some
skew in the results. Reporting error also introduces error as well. I think
the much larger sample size is worth making these assumptions.

If I could get my hands on a few year's worth of data, I could do the
statistics. I'm still for turning this into a real study.

11 horses isn't a large enough sample to tell anything from.