[RC] Hypothesis: Mares - DreamWeaver

Hypothesis: Mares take better care of themselves than geldings at rides.
Prediction: Horses that die as a result of endurance competition should
be
statistically more likely to be a gelding (corrected for proportion of
starters) than a mare.

Has anyone tested this hypothesis?

http://aerc.org/ENFeb04fatalities.html This table shows that of the horses on it, 5 were geldings, 4 were mares and 2 were stallions. I think the thing that I noticed when I looked at it is that there is a disproportionate number of non-arabians on the list, and that the # of miles by most of them is fairly low. I know this is only one year, and really statistically meaningless but it does tell me some things. If Arabians account for the majority of horses on the trail, but less than half of the fatalities then people who ride non-arabians need to be a lot more careful. I would like to know what the correlation is to # of treatments in regards to breed and sex, since it seems like mares tie up more often than geldings, but it could just be that it seems that way and the opposite is true.

Karen
in NV

P.S. another quote:

Nothing is more sacred as the bond between horse and rider...no other creature can ever become so emotionally close to a human as a horse. When a horse dies, the memory lives on because an enormous part of his owner's heart, soul, very existence dies also...but that can never be laid to rest, it is not meant to be... - Stephanie M Thorn.