[RC] Mares versus gelding. - The Winters, Cheryl or Randy

I have ridden three mares in competition, one went 4000 miles with me.  I
have always liked the mind of a mare, but I do have to say I think taking
care of themselves is not always a given.  The mare we have now is very
athletic, but her mind is tooooo competitive and that is her weak point.
 I have tried starting at the back, the middle, the front.  If there is
another horse out there she is like a heat seeking missile.  The best she
ever did was letting her take the lead from the get go, and she was a happy
camper that ate, drank, and set her pace from the start. But that is not
always the way it can be.   She will drink when she is darn well ready, but
no where near when I would think she should.  On training rides she will
wait until we get home to drink even if we are out all day.  Yikes.  drives
me nuts.   One time she even scared herself during a competition  by passing
up water and having to wait a long time before the next one.  Good news is,
she did not miss any other places to drink the remainder of the two days.
Could it also be that if people have a nice mare with good qualities that
they may be making babies instead of competing.  Of course it is good to get
them on trail to see who they are, but then the urge to get some nice foals
is always there.