Re: [RC] Icelandics in Endurance/Non-Traditional Breeds - Sundaez

In a message dated 2/6/2004 10:58:57 PM Pacific Standard Time, gypsydancer@xxxxxxx writes:
Wow, this came up all on it's own!  I've been meaning to ask about non-traditional breeds in CTR and endurance, specifically Icelandics.
Victoria I am responding to this because I ride "non-traditional" horses. There are some Icelandics suited for endurance and some not. If I were to get another one I would go for a domestic bred, preferably from the region in which I was going to ride. My Icelandics are imports and had a tough time acclimating to Southern Calif weather. Here is a post I recently sent someone asking about their Icelandic:

O, I will say this about Icelandics.

Just because you have one it doesn't necessarily mean it is cut out for endurance.

Icelandics must be body clipped regularly if they are to be ridden in endurance. (Sometimes every 2 weeks!)

Plan on going slower...there is just no way you can compete with an Arab in speed, but you can in longevity. John Park is a good example.

You have to get on and off more than with a larger horse. Uphills are hard on Icelandics cuz of their short legs!

There are definatly some pros to riding Icelandics in endurance, as well as the cons. You don't have to deal with a lot of the silliness some other breeds have in group situations. Icelandics seem to take everything in stride and have a good work ethic. Mine weren't herd bound at all. They seem to focus better than some of the other horses I've seen, and most are very good at eating and drinking and taking care of themselves...not as nervy as some Arabs. Of course they are also the most comfortable horse to ride IMO...you don't get 1/10th as sore.

Down side is you do have to go slower, and in the heat make sure you horse stays cooler. When it is hot there is a longer time to pulse down. Jenni would take 10 minutes to reach criteria where as my Morgan is down even though we are going faster.

My advice is this. If you love your horse try him out and see how he does. Keep him cool and of course condition him. You have to do more initial conditioning I think than with arab types. Learn his gut sounds and normal body temperature as his core temp is an indication he is over heated. If you are ever in doubt, slow down and walk. John had to walk a long while on his recent 75 miler. Not for the faint of heart!

So I hope this helps and please let me know in any way I can help...I'm happy to answer questions. Also can you send a pic of your horse without tack...a side view shot in summer coat if you have one? I'd love to see him. A leggy narrow type Icelandic will do better than a drafty type.

____
Remember with an Icelandic heat is your biggest enemy...both external and building up internal heat. These horses were bred for COLD conditions. THey have small nostrils and I'm told even the trachea is more narrow, which is way some Icelandics pant. (Even those in condition...though not all Icelandics pant.) Of course I see you live in Maine so it might be a good choice for you.

Melanie

Here is a pic from my latest ride with my Morgan. Also you can see PICS of my Ice's at www.goldengaitranch.com