[RC] Icelandics in Endurance/Non-Traditional Breeds - V.Roush

Wow, this came up all on it's own!  I've been meaning to ask about non-traditional breeds in CTR and endurance, specifically Icelandics.  You see, I have a middle aged QH who will eventually need to be passed down to my fiance (who needs a nice, elderly horse to ride) and replaced with a "newer model" for me to continue to ride and compete on.  Icelandics are one of the breeds we were considering.  We live in Maine, and I'm a solid 165 pounds, so a nice, sturdy, cold weather horse would be best for us.

That brings me to a few questions.  I checked out the stats on the Tevis site to see what different breeds have competed in that ride, thinking I'd see the full spectrum.  Arabian horses, of course, were the majority, but there were only two or three other breeds listed.  Do you find that other breeds can't be competitive against arabians, or do most riders use them because it's *accepted* that they are the best?  Could it be that arabians just shape up and are ready for competition faster than other breeds, but that other breeds of horses could be just as suited for the job with some extra work?  What other breeds have you seen doing CTR or endurance?  How successful were they?

I'm not expecting to be a top rider by any means (nor do I necessarily want to be) but if I'm going to shell out the cash for an endurance horse and entry fees, and transportation, and everything else I'll need, I at least want a horse that will keep up, be fun and safe, and condition well to the trail.

 - Victoria