Re: [RC] homemade Power bars - Chipnml

Sorry, I don't really have a recipe...I just kind of eyeball a standard oatmeal cookie recipe and substitute ingredients as the spirit moves.  You can pretty much go 1:1 on the dry ingredients, same amount of oatmeal, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup less flour, then add a similar amount of oat bran, and just use whole wheat flour instead.  You can substitute honey for sugar at 1/2 to 3/4 cup for 1 cup sugar and then reduce the liquid by 1/4 cup, then add 1/2 tsp baking soda for every cup of honey.  Brown rice syrup is not as sweet as honey, so gives it a different taste.  You can experiment using 1/2 batches and not adding expensive ingredients like nuts and apricots etc. until you have the base recipe down to something you like.  Then go wild...dried cranberries, dried cherries, dried mangos...try substituting orange juice concentrate for a little of the sweetener, or apple juice concentrate.  As far as packaging, since I don't have the technology to put them in little mylar bags like Clif Bars, I just wrap them individually in plastic wrap, then put them in baggies.  One more hint, baking at a lower temperature gives you a chewier texture.  Have fun!

Chip (who's momma taught her to love cooking)