Re: [RC] understanding mares - Alice Yovich

You know, this is the same for me. I don't actually care if I have a mare or a gelding. I don't even stop to consider which I'm getting when I'm buying a horse. This may be b/c breeding is something of an afterthought (though I have bred a few mares) or just that I look at the individual at the moment and I've never had an unruly mare. I know plenty of people who won't own a mare.

There is a gelding I adore at my camp where I teach lessons. I'd bring him home in a heart beat. My daughter's pony is a gelding. I honestly would like to have 2 of the same sex if it worked out just b/c I find that 2 mares attach less than a mare and a gelding, but this isn't always the case.